Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Time for a new journey

Although I've planned my next trip for 3 months, I can't believe it starts in just a week.  My daughter Karin and I are flying to New York City to see the holiday decorations and go to a play.  The play -- A Steady Rain -- is what determined the trip.  It stars Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig for a limited engagement.  As crazy as I am about Daniel Craig, I couldn't let pass the opportunity to see him on Broadway, and perhaps meet him.  Word is that both Jackman and Craig are generous in greeting playgoers at the backstage door after performances. 

The planning began when I read that AmEx card holders would be given a pre-sale opportunity in August.  I was on the phone as soon as the line opened and snagged good seats in the orchestra for my daughter and a family friend who lives in NYC. 

With the tickets secure, I then had to find a hotel I could almost afford.  Since we had other plans beside the theater, I wanted the hotel to be reasonable close to the theater district plus other destinations.  Hotel prices are ridiculous in Manhattan!   After much searching on the Web, I settled on the Washington Jefferson hotel, which had prices at least $100 less than hotels closer to the action but is still a good location.

Finding seats on an airline was much simpler.  We fly from Jacksonville on Dec. 3, see the play on Dec. 4, have another day for sightseeing and museum hopping, and return to JAX on Dec. 6.  By flying out of JAX, I get to go a day early and spend time with my grandsons.  It will be a great week all-around!  If I have any misgivings, it's having the proper clothing for New York in December! I'm a transplanted Floridian who can't handle the cold on a good day.   I'll let you know how it works out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anita,
Testing the comments section.
Elaine

anitainflorida said...

I got this one!

A.

Karin said...

Yay! Comments are working it looks like! Now you just have to go edit your blog post and change the dates so I don't have a mini heart attack everytime I see the wrong dates on there.