Monday, November 16, 2009

Louisiana green


There wasn't much to inspire me in the rest of Texas: busier highway, congested cities, ordinary landscapes.  Then we crossed into Louisiana, to rich green fields, trees and crops.  I was surprised to see the sugar cane, some of it being harvested, waving in the wind (right).  Then began the rivers and lakes, as well as the swamps (below).



And some of the names evoked memories of my favorite books by James Lee Burke: Bayou Teche, Atchafalaya River and Lake Bigeaux (below).

Then the rains came and required attention to the roads, not the scenery.  It forced us to find lodging sooner than I wanted and we exited the highway at Covington.  Who would know we would find a 5-star restaurant right next to the motel!  It was very elegant, and very expensive, but with unique offerings: lumpmeat crab and brie soup and duck "saltimboca" to name two.  The soup was delicious!  The cost of the meal surpassed our lunches and dinners for the past 4 days!   I will SO have to exercise when we get home.

Two more days, I think, and we WILL be home.  YEA!

No comments: